Finding Your Niche - Question 5


This is part 5 of a series.  Find part 1part 2, and part 3 here.

So I'll start this post with a completely random rant. 

I live in the Northeastern part of the US.  As many of you know, we're supposed to get this epic snowstorm this weekend.  I heard that in Washington D.C., they were cancelling school for Friday on Tuesday!  WHAT?! 

But that's not what this rant is about.  It's about... bread.  And not the awesome "Bread" that we talked about the other day... no, that cheapy, nasty, store-bought stuff that I currently have sitting in my cupboard because, well...

If it snoweth, thou must buyeth milk and bread.

Of all the ridiculous nonsense.  I mentioned this unwritten rule to my 7 year old (who frankly thinks most "American things" are ridiculous... chalk it up to her missionary-kid mindset) and she looked at me like I had literally just swallowed an octopus.  "WHAT?!  Why in the WORLD do you buy milk and bread for a snowstorm?!"

If anyone can shed some light on this snowstorm law that I've always just taken for granted, but now am looking at incredulously, please, inform me.


Ok, so we're ready now for question #5 of this series!

5. What do people come to you to help them with?

Huh.  Well, that's an interesting question.  Being labeled as "a missionary" means that a lot of people (especially when we lived in South America) looked at me to have great amounts of wisdom and experience... neither of which is necessarily true.  I'm just a normal person who's dealing with the same junk everyone else does.  It's called being human.  

Yet, I've had people come to me with everything from a brownie recipe to a pending divorce situation.  I'm often at a complete loss... yet, God keeps sending people my way!  I don't say that out of pride, please don't misunderstand me.  I'm often frustrated because I have NO. IDEA. what to say or do, other than listen and pray.  And sometimes that's the only thing I can do... and the thing that is needed most.  

I've had the opportunity to take many spiritual gift inventories (tests) in the past 10 years as we've prepared for missions and transferred ministry focus to church planting.  One of my highest scores always falls on exhortation, which is defined as "inciting someone to that which is good or commendable."  God's Word is so powerful and so simple in its truth.  Through discipling and mentoring the women that God has sent to me, I've learned that essentially, He's asking me to speak truth from His Word into their lives.  I'm not meant to reinvent the wheel, and I don't have a ton of experience or personal training to add to the mix.  That's ok.  It's about making His truth known and stepping back to see His Spirit work it out in the hearts of those I get to walk through life with.  

How about you?  Where do you see God using you to minister to others?  
Post a Comment