Missionary Mom - Typical Day


I thought I would begin this series by giving you a glimpse into my “typical” day.  The truth is, there IS no typical day!  And for me, a person who does best with routine and order… it’s been a difficult thing to which I’ve had to adjust.  I have a schedule on my refrigerator that’s, well, very Type A and honestly, I have yet to follow it!  I think I did for the week after I printed it up… maybe. 

SO… what does a typical day look like?  Certainly not the above!  More like this:
  • 7:30 – Wake up to my early bird, Firefly, tapping on my arm asking, “Mommy, did you have your quiet time yet?” 
  • 8:30 – be finished with shower, quiet time, and keeping Firefly quiet while Ladybug continues to sleep
  • 9:00 – Try to have breakfast on the table… get Ladybug dressed
  • 9:30 – Get moving with morning chores while DH moves to the office to start his work... he's usually there until lunchtime.
  • 10:00 – rush out to do my morning “room check” for the girls dorm of our Bible Institute
  • 10:10 – rush back and sit down to check email while the girls play for a while
  • 11:00 – break up the argument that has started because the girls have been left to their own devices for too long… suggest a break for snack and then some Play Dough time.
  • 11:30 – get back to doing “office” work… run out and find someone I needed to talk to so that I can check off that one thing on my to-do list.  Come back and get the girls dressed to go outside to run out some energy while I finish the morning task list.
  • 12:00 – realize that it is 12 o’clock and I haven’t really done anything yet…
  • 12:30 – rapidly finish the project I was working on, go outside to find the girls and get them ready for lunch.
  • 1:00 – head over with DH, Firefly, and Ladybug to the cafeteria where we eat lunch each day with the Bible Institute students and some of the other missionary families.  Hope we are not eating fried fish (heads and all) again.
  • 1:30 – head back home with DH while the girls play on the playground for a little down-time before the afternoon rush.
  • 2:15 – explain to my house helper (one of the students who works for us in exchange for help with her tuition) what I need her to do for the afternoon
  • 2:30 – find the girls and put Ladybug down for her rest time.  Help Firefly with her schoolwork.
  • 2:45 – FINALLY begin the afternoon task-list… meetings, more projects, chasing people down to talk to…
  • 3:00 – Wake Ladybug up and settle the girls on the couch for their movie time.
  • 3:10 – continue with the meetings, chasing people down, projects… get snack for the girls
  • 4:00 – turn off movie time, send the girls outside for some playtime
  • 4:30 – finish afternoon tasks… meetings… projects… etc.
  • 5:00 – think “whew, it’s 5 o’clock ” and wonder where the girls are… 
  • 5:30 – track down the girls to get Firefly in the shower while I think about what’s for dinner
  • 6:00 – get dinner in the oven or cooking on the stove
  • 6:30… 7… 7:30 – finish the above and eat the dinner and clean up
  • 7:30 – get Ladybug in the shower (we have no bathtub) and patiently remind her that she is GOING to get wet while she constantly yells that there is water in her face.
  • 8:00 – take a break while DH (bless my wonderful husband!) reads with the girls, including some of Firefly’s school books… answer the door about 100 times while students and missionaries come for quick things that they forgot to ask us or say to us all day…
  • 9:00 – settle the girls in bed and take time to blog or check email again.  This is where our office with 2 desks comes in handy!  We can be together while finishing up the little things we need to do.
  • 11:00…11:30…12 – realize that it’s ridiculously late and that we should be in bed! 
If you made it through that... you get a gold star. 

In this day are many challenges, many distractions, many obstacles that I’ve had to learn to deal with as we have been here.  Over the next few weeks I will share with you just exactly HOW the Lord has helped me to adjust, let go, CHANGE how I view what is essential and absolutely necessary to live a “normal” life...  and how I am very much still struggling with many things!  

BlogSiggy
Post a Comment