The Peace Maker - A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict

A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict

One of my long-term goals is to read more.  I frankly don't read enough.  So, I purchased this book in our missions training about 2 years ago, and I'm finally getting around to reading it!  My mom went through the Peacemaking Ministries training (a fellow non-confrontationalist, my mom and I see eye to eye on avoiding conflict like the plague) and it changed many things about her perspective of conflict.  She still doesn't like it, but I know she can handle it with new eyes now.

My goal is to blog through this book, to help myself absorb the information.  I do best in learning when I write out my thoughts; when I write out what I'm reading.  I don't usually think WHILE I'm reading, something my sweet husband doesn't understand.  So, the blog is an effort to spit it back out onto "paper" and digest some more.

So here we are*...
Chapter 1: Conflict Provides Opportunities
A definition of conflict: A difference in opinion or purpose that frustrates someone's goals or desires.

4 Primary Causes of Conflict:
  1. Poor communication 
  2. Differences in values, goals, gifts, calling, priorities, expectations, interests or opinions 
  3. Competition over limited resources 
  4. Sinful attitudes and habits 
3 Opportunities of conflicts:
  1. Glorify God 
    • "IF YOU DON'T GLORIFY GOD WHEN YOU ARE INVOLVED IN A CONFLICT, YOU WILL INEVITABLY GLORIFY SOMEONE OR SOMETHING ELSE."
  2. Serve Others
  3. Grow to be like Christ
The 4 "G's" of Peacemaking
  1. Glorify God
  2. Get the log out of your own eye
  3. Gently restore
  4. Go and be reconciled
We must steward the conflict that we are involved in!  Think about this:
A steward is not supposed to manage things for his own pleasure, convenience, or benefit.  Instead, he is expected to follow his master's instructions and look out for his master's interests, even if they conflict with his own personal desires or convenience (John 12:24-26).
To be an effective steward, I must be: 
  • Motivated
  • Informed
  • Strengthened
  • Dependent
  • Faithful
So that was chapter 1.  Nearly impossible, too much, A LOT for me to swallow.  As I said before, I avoid conflict like the plague.  To me, if there is conflict, there is a problem, which is true, but now I see it as an opportunity of the Lord to grow me, to help me reach out to others, to glorify HIM in my words and actions.  



*Just a note... most of my summaries are DIRECT QUOTES from the book.  I don't claim or pretend to be intelligent enough to have those as my own words.  
BlogSiggy
Post a Comment