Trying to lose it…

So we've been here now for a week and a half. I'm getting used to waking up at 5:30 every morning to have my hour before Firefly wakes up since the sun rises so early here. I love mornings! Each day I rise before anyone else, I have time to make a hot cup of tea and read my devotions, do some catching up online since the internet works the best early in the day, and watch the sun rise over the incredible mountains outside my front door. The trade-off is that I need to get to bed VERY early (compared to what I used to do) and my 9 o'clock I'm ready to hit the hay (or the really tough bedsprings in our case).

Days are very full and we haven't even really started doing ministry yet! I'm just adjusting to doing everything by hand and from scratch. I make bread, make the day's drink (usually limonada or sweet tea), boil a large pot of water for drinking, make the rice (we do have a rice cooker!), cook the larger meal of the day (lunch) in our little toaster oven, sweep and sweep and sweep to keep up with the dust that blows in from our windows and doors being open all day, and keeping track of the girls who just love being able to run outside to their very own backyard! So far, it's all exciting and new for us, so I don't mind the long days. I'm sure there will come a time when I just want to open a can to dump in my crock pot (non-existent here) or order a pizza for dinner. We can get Pollo a la braza (rotisserie chicken and huge yummy fries) up in our little town which is fabulous on occasion. So tasty!!! But that's fairly expensive on our meal budget, so we won't do that but a couple of times a month.

The girls are adjusting very well and love having friends to play with. We just had another American couple with children move in to start classes at the Bible College here. Their boys are about a year older than our girls (5 and 3 instead of 4 and 2) but they all play really well together. Our coworkers just moved into their new home yesterday and are our new neighbors! They have a little guy who is the same age as Ladybug and the girls love to play with him as well. Firefly has a whole crew of other girls her age and older who she plays with most every day and she loves that! We've never lived in a "community" like this, so we're really enjoying that. Children are abundant here, so our girls will never hurt for company!


I am adjusting to a slower pace of life. While there is a lot more work to do, it doesn't all have to be done in one day! Yesterday afternoon I actually sat down while the girls were napping and began to practice knitting! I'm trying to learn so that I can make them stockings for Christmas. We'll see how far I get. I might just be making a bunch of scarves to send Stateside for gifts…

Yesterday afternoon I was just craving something sweet but had just used up all of my flour that morning making a double batch of play dough. I searched for a while online and finally found a recipe for a no-bake treat using corn syrup, corn flakes, and peanut butter. OH they were so good! I made a 1/2 batch and had enough to share with all of our neighbors plus save a whole plate for us! Here's the result:

Post a Comment