One month ago...

Can I really have been here for a month already?! Wow. The Lord has been so gracious to me and is continuing to have His hand on each day we are here. Thanks to those of you who have been praying that I could have a consistent quiet time each day because not a day has gone by that I haven't spent the first moments of my morning reading the Word and asking for help for the coming hours of the day. I don't say this to toot my own horn by any means... this is truly a miracle only accomplished through prayer because I cannot remember a time in my life when I kept a consistent quiet time for any length of days. Something always came up on some morning of the week and then before I knew it I had gone a whole week without spending time with the Lord.

Before we left the States a dear friend gave me the book "Calm My Anxious Heart" and I have been eagerly anticipating reading and studying with it in addition to my regular quiet time. Once I am out of this language learning time I am planning on adding a period of quiet to my afternoon (hopefully) where I think I will incorporate this book first.

















So what have I been doing for the past 4 weeks? Well, studying Spanish! Our home is so small it doesn't require a lot of maintenance and the girls and I go out each morning for burning some energy. The entire afternoon (from 2-6) I am at the language school with my tutor working on grammar and listening more and more to Spanish. I am amazed at how much I am now able to hear and comprehend. I can ascertain the context of the conversation and catch most of the words and phrases and keep up fairly well with the speed of speech. Most of my answers involve the word "Si!" and vigorous nodding of the head... but I am able to formulate sentences and conversate in a fairly intelligent way. It's so exciting!

Today, my tutor wrote out every single verb tense I have studied already and how to congugate it, and when to use it... and when I looked at that list, I was so excited! I know a lot of Spanish already! Hooray! The past few days I have been remembering my frustration with the learning process in the States and I am recognizing that the Lord has answered my cry of, "God, if YOU want me to learn this language, YOU have to give my brain the capacity to understand it!!" Thank you, Lord!
Post a Comment