To resolute... or not to resolute...

Do you have New Year's Resolutions? I don't. At least not yet. Why?

I am a self-diagnosed perfectionist.

If I can't do something 100% of the time at 100% effectiveness with 100% of my effort... I don't want to do it. I've made resolutions in the past... I fail. I feel that if I make resolutions it's just too much pressure because "life" gets in the way... or it becomes uncomfortable for me and I don't want to continue. (Like exercising every day... or not eating sweets every day...)

So... I'm stuck. I know it's not a good attitude or reason to not set goals for myself, just because I'm afraid of failing. I keep remembering that old addage, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." I certainly don't like failing, as I've mentioned, so I'm trying to decide how to make some maneageable goals for myself (and not call them "resolutions"). I think I'm going to start by using this worksheet from Simple Mom.

This verse gives me some encouragement: Isaiah 40:31 "Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." Praying over what the Lord would have me work on in 2010 may be the best method for success! If He is calling me to do it, He will strengthen me for the task!

Do you have any resolutions? How do you keep them for yourself?
Post a Comment