Cloth Diapering Series - Part 1


Alright, let's just dive into this series. When I tell people that I cloth diaper I am met with one of two responses:
  1. "Oh wow! I always wanted to do that! Good for you."

  2. "You're kidding?! I could NEVER do that! (Insert reason here.)"

Both of these responses indicate one simple thing. A lack of information. I want to provide that information to YOU so you can be aware of the options out there. I've heard it said, "These aren't your mother's cloth diapers!" and that is SO true!

Pros and Cons of Cloth Diapering

PROS:

  • MUCH cheaper in the long run. Disposables can cost you upwards of $1000 per child (if diapered over a 2 year period of time) Cloth diapers are an investment to begin with (but there are MANY ways to cut this cost, which we will discuss), but this investment can last for ALL of your children, if cared for properly! Not to mention, there are MANY places online where you can SELL your used cloth diapers (and buy them in the beginning, for that matter) once you're done and get a return on your investment!
  • Less diaper rash. Disposable diapers are made with chemicals. Baby skin doesn't always like chemicals. Cloth diapers are made from natural cotton fibers. Baby skin prefers natural things!
  • Earlier potty training. Let's face it. No matter WHAT kind of diaper you use, the goal is to get the child OUT of the diaper! Children who are cloth diapered can potty train up to 6 months earlier than they would in disposables. Why? Because the diaper keeps the moisture closer to their skin and they recognize it earlier. My first daughter (who wasn't cloth diapered) didn't begin until she was over 2 years old. My second daughter (who is cloth diapered) started last month at 16 months.

CONS:

  • Start-up costs can be high. Depending on the system you decide to go with, you are going to put in a few hundred dollars in the beginning. I started small, did part-time cloth and more wash, and worked up to a bigger "stash" when I was able to. It is doable. Also, for missionaries, there is a cloth diaper grant available for you! Check it out here. There is also an organization called Miracle Diapers that gives cloth diapers to qualifying low-income families.
  • Washing them. I know this is one of the biggest turn-offs for cloth diapering. I have NO problems with it. It's easy... there are tools to make it SUPER easy. It amounts to two extra loads of wash a week for me. No big deal when I think about the amount of trash and money I'm saving. As to water usage... that's a toss up. But think about the fact that disposable diapers are made with chemicals and hold (sorry, it's gross) human waste. Those chemicals and human waste go into landfills and those things are leeched into the soil. Cloth diapers are not made with chemicals and are rinsed into the toilet where the human waste goes into proper sanitation recepticles.
  • A few extra minutes of your time with diaper changing. Granted, it takes 5 seconds longer (once you get the hang of it) to change a cloth diaper and put it into a pail with a lid.
  • Travelling might be an issue if you are not around laundering facilities. I'll admit that I do use disposables when I am out for more than a day and am not visiting my mom. Again, there ARE tools to make this possible and not so difficult for you.


Post a Comment