Something a little different

So... it's nearly December. DD #1 and I have been limping along with HOH for a few months now. It just doesn't seem to be working for us at the moment. Perhaps its because I'm lazy and can't find time to prepare activities and obstacle courses for my 2 year old... it seems a little bit too much? I don't know. I'm becoming quickly discouraged about this. Between our random schedule and the things that aren't available in my sparse "craft closet", it doesn't seem that HOH's methods and FULL schedule are for us right now. SOOOO.... instead of crossing out the idea completely, I'm going to take a small break from HOH and try a different method.


LAPBOOKS!!!

I've found some AMAZING resources (all free!) for toddler lapbooks that coincide with great literature (that we can get at the library on Story Day!) DD#1 LOVES to read, she'll do it with us for HOURS... so I'm going to take this approach and see how things go! We're going to try 1 or 2 lapbooks in December to work with some holiday themes. I've found a few great ones that I'd like to try to see how it goes.

  1. The first is a lapbook dedicated specifically to the Nativity Story. I think we'll try to do this one closer to Christmas.

  2. The second is a lapbook from Lapbooks by Carisa and features counting, colors, and other Christmas fun learning!

Homeschool Share.com is a great site I've found with unit studies based on great children's literature. We are SO enjoying reading right now... and while she's so little and doesn't NEED a lot of intense, scripted learning (since it happens naturally) I want to see what happens if we take a little time and effort and incorporate these lessons into our normal "play" and reading time.

And wow... 1+1+1=Blog is a woman after my own heart. I'm going to be ENCOURAGED by her methods, I think! She has some great tips and tricks for "schooling" with a tot! Her approach is child-directed, which makes me a little nervous... I can't believe that children can be "self-directed" and learn everything they need to before college, but I don't think it's an issue with a 2 year old! :-)

And here is a website with literature based unit studies for 2-4 year olds! Whoo! Kind of like BFIAR, a unit study curriculum that I'm interested in, but FREE! Good literature-based teaching opportunities, some with lapbook templates to print out and create!




Post a Comment