Psalm 84:5-7

"Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion." Psalm 84:5-7

I was reading this today as part of my quiet time with the Lord. What an amazing passage to meditate on! As I am on this "journey" of life, and especially this time of preparation for Peru, my strength comes from the Lord! Without His enablement I would never be able to make the "Valley of Baca" a place of springs and autumn rains. He is the one who supplies those "pools" of refreshment and grace.

I Googled "Valley of Baca" and this is what I found:
This valley of Baca appears to have been a very perilous pass, through which pilgrims journeyed toward Jerusalem—and on account of the difficulties, dangers, and sufferings that they met with, it was named "the valley of Baca," or 'the valley of weeping,' 'the valley of tears.'
While I'm not necessarily going through the "valley of tears" there are things going on in my life right now that I would classify as difficult and arduous. It's a real process of trust and reliance on the strength of my "trail Guide".

Those "pools" that are spoken of are definitely the refreshing nature of my relationship with the Lord. I was thinking of what those "pools" might also refer to in this passage.
  1. Prayer - my times of communication with the Lord, where He can speak to my heart and I can pour out mine to Him.
  2. Fellowship with those who are also on this journey - this is often where the Lord most often refreshes my heart. When I am with a group of other believers and we are pouring over the Word or just praising God through song and discussion, its incredible how my thirst is quenched.
  3. Passages like the one I was shown today... those verses that just jump off the page and into my heart are the Lord's way of reminding me of the power of His Word.

I LOVE the phrase "from strength to strength'. I picture going across a wide, deep, rushing, treacherous river and the only way across is to jump from rock to rock. Those rocks are just close enough to keep me from plunging into the river. When I'm not sure where the next one is, a rapid breaks over the next one to step upon. The Lord's strength is just like that! I have it moment by moment and need by need. He never lets my foot slip, but always guides my footsteps and strengthens me to reach the other side.

Beautiful pictures from His Word. Praise Him for today's "pool"!

Post a Comment